It’s that time of year again, the time to stuff yourself full of the year’s most amazing food, catch up with family and football, and let’s not forget Black Friday’s insane lines and complete pandemonium over discounted electronics. Thanksgiving also marks the beginning of the craziest, most hectic time of year, Christmas. For some it brings to mind jingle bells, twinkly lights, and crisp, white snow, for some it brings stress over all the presents you’re expected to buy but can’t afford, and for some it brings to mind the loss of a loved one or family fights that make you want to cry and scream.
No matter if Christmas makes you giddy, stressed, or depressed, it’s usually hard to survive it and come out in one piece that’s focused on the Lord. So what better way to enter the holiday season but through giving thanks to the God who’s the reason for it all! It will help remind you of who God is, who you are in relation to Him, and how great and active God is in your life.
In the next fews days devoted to an American holiday about thanksgiving, meditate on these verses about a God who gives you life, peace, and a relationship with Him, give Him thanks for His wonderful deeds, and then shout it from the rooftops so others can know how awesome God is too!
Oh give thanks to the LORD; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples! 1 Chronicles 16:8
Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever! 1 Chronicles 16:34
I will give to the LORD the thanks due to his righteousness, and I will sing praise to the name of the LORD, the Most High. Psalm 7:17
And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17
We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, who is and who was,for you have taken your great power and begun to reign. Revelation 11:17
Thanksgiving (the action, not the holiday) puts your heart in the right place, your mind on the right things, and God in the right focus. So Gabrielle, Sarah and I have decided to take a dose of our own medicine and give some thanks. The Lord has given us many things to be thankful for and we want the world to know! 🙂
Diane’s “Things I’m Saying Thanks For”:
1. I have a great job where I get to help women and teenage girls in need and share the love of Christ with them every day. I finally get to do the ministry God has prepared my heart to do. It’s a blessing to serve Him and the Gospel daily.
2. My husband, Alex, proposed to me on Thanksgiving two years ago. I’m so thankful Alex decided to love me for a lifetime and help lead me towards becoming a more Christlike woman. He’s really fun and cute too, which doesn’t hurt things. God did good! 🙂
3. My church is amazing! The Lord brought us to a Church that is following the Great Commission, committed to every word of Scripture, and full of believers that love, accept, and challenge each other to become godlier.
4. Sarah and Gabby. I cannot express how thankful I am for their friendship and spiritual sisterhood. If the Lord had not brought them into my life I wouldn’t be the same woman, friend, or wife.
5. Our future. The Lord has led Alex and I down a path towards the mission field and we now know where God is taking us. I’m so thankful for His guidance, our new country, our new people group, and for His control in the whole situation. It’s an exciting time right now and I’m thankful to the Lord for giving us that excitement and the opportunity to tell people who have never heard the name of Jesus about His saving grace.
Sarah’s Top 5 “Things I’m Most Grateful For”
1. I am thankful first and foremost for my salvation. It is the conduit through which I have my relationship with Jesus Christ. Without my salvation, I would be lost in life, damned in death, and a hopeless wretch. But because of God’s great grace, mercy and love, He sent his only Son to redeem me, cover my sins with his precious blood, and delivery my soul with his work on the cross.
2. I am also extremely thankful for the home in which God saw fit to place me. My parents are some of the most godly people I know…and they’re a HOOT!! I love everything about them. Their passion for ministry, their love for each other, their support of me all have been incredibly encouraging facets of my life growing up. I also am really grateful for the brothers that I had growing up, although the 13-year-old self is cringing that I am admitting this now, but my brothers have truly been rocks on which I can lean. They’re the best!
3. I am very thankful for the friends that God has given me, at school, at my church, and back home in NY. I have the best friends a girl could ask for, and I have seen Ecclessiastes 4:9, 10 lived out in my life, “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.”
4. I am also very thankful for the Lord’s provision in my life. There are times when God blesses my life so much that I joke that I might be His favorite, when in reality, God doesn’t have favorites…He lavishes good gifts to ALL His children (James 1:17). But God has been so faithful to me over the years. Whenever I am in need, that need is satisfied by Him. I don’t deserve it, but He’s a good Father, and He gives GOOD gifts.
5. I am so eternally grateful that God has called me into ministry. There are times when this fact leaves me dumbfounded. I don’t get this privilege because I deserve it, trust me. But God has placed a burden on my heart to minister to women with the Gospel of Christ, and for that I am especially grateful. This calling is truly “exceedingly, abundantly above all I could ask or think” to do with my life, and for that…I am eternally grateful.
Gabrielle’s Thankful For:
1.My church family! This time last year I had just moved to a new city and was struggling to connect. Then I walked into my church and found a home. The people I serve, worship and learn next to each Sunday are family. And I cannot begin to express how much their love and support has ministered to me!
2. My mother’s health.My mom has battled Cushings disease for years and in 2011 God raised up amazing doctors who cured her! So glad to have you for another year Mom!
3. My Unlocking Femininity girls. You two are so more than just friends, you are my heroes, accountability partners, prayer warriors, and cheerleaders. I am so grateful God used this blog to unite our lives! Love you!
4. Godly men. I know that sounds weird, since I am a single girl, but I am so grateful for men who are pursuing God and stepping up as men. The more I am out in the world, the more I see how rare godly masculinity is, and I applaud and respect those who are striving to glorify God through their masculinity.
5. I am daily overwhelmed with thankfulness for God’s grace. I have spent this summer and fall marveling at the depth, breath, cost, and purpose of God’s grace – and I have been blown away! Lord, your grace truly is enough!
So, what are you thankful for? How is the Lord working in your life right now or this past year? We would love to hear about how God has been blessing your life! Plus, it always feels good to brag on God a little!
Give thanks to the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the peoples, proclaim that his name is exalted. Isaiah 12:4